1. So, what’s your book all about?
SURFING VIETNAM is about a damaged but innocent boy from the Bible Belt Midwest in the 60’s caught up in the maelstrom of the Vietnam War – the draft, sex and drugs all mixing into an insane stew of destructive behavior and ultimately leading to redemption. A profane black comedy, coming-of-age saga and morality play acted out in episodes…
2. What inspired you to write this tale?
My own life and times and that of my cohorts who did and did not die in the Asian jungle… The book CATCH-22 inspired me. The film APPOCOLYPSE NOW! inspired me.
3. Do you have a favorite quote about creativity/inspiration etc…? What is it?
From Peter Grosowski, “The art of writing is the art of the application of the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair.”
4. What things do you keep in your “writing space”? Do they inspire you? Confound you? Hold wires in place?
Just my MacBook Pro… It is a tool, not an inspiration.
5. What is your perfect “writing space”?
Anywhere my MacBook and I can be alone.
6. If your car horn could play any song, which would it be? Can’t say Dixie.
Can’t say Dixie. Sheeit, and I was gonna say ‘Dixie.” Gosh, my books are original, just not my car horn.
7. What would you name the first permanent settlement on mars?
8. How tall is the perfect sidekick? Please explain why it even matters.
Much taller than the hero and bustier too (the perfect dance partner)…
9. If you were to mess with the time stream, what would you change? Let’s assume a hundred other people already took care of Hitler so you don’t have to say, “Kill Hitler.”
I would take care of the 100 other people, so as not to f__k with the time stream.
10. Let’s say your character has a pet brown bear. What’s the bear’s name?
“Brownie.” All my childhood animals had equally creative names.
11. If you had to give an antagonist an annoying trait, what would it be?
Scratching a pestilent skin condition.
12. What kind of car would your ultimate protagonist drive?
A 1972 Fiat 850.
13. You’ve got a year to travel anywhere. Where?
The Emerald Isle ‘cause its fulla poets, dreamers, drunks and brawlers.
14. You just bought a boat with your book fortune. What are you going to call it?
15. What kind of music, if any, gets you typing the fastest?
16. What’s the punch line to your favorite joke?
But the light bulb has to want to change.
17. What lyric do you sing poorly, yet loudly?
Stan Rogers’ MARY ELLEN CARTER, but only in the car with the windows up.
18. You find a portal to another world in your sink’s drain. What is this other world called? And what is the best way to clean the portal so it doesn’t smell like old food?
It is called “Urinal-the land of men who live alone”
19. Where can people learn more about you, your work or any pets you have?
I’m in the book.
20. What’s next?
Death and taxes.
Learn more about Jim at http://dominuslumiere.blogspot.com.