1. So, what’s your book all about?
LORE OF FEI is about faeries and how they are losing their land of Fei to the warmongering humans. The logline is: Faeries vs. humans, who will win?
2. What inspired you to write this tale?
I wanted to write a different faerie book. Not the tiny, little ones with wings. Nope, my faeries are life sized with magic, wings and will fight for their land even though they are usually a peace loving race.
3. Do you have a favorite quote about creativity/inspiration etc…? What is it?
“Welcome to the desert of the real.” Morpheus from The Matrix
4. What things do you keep in your “writing space”? Do they inspire you? Confound you? Hold wires in place?
My writing space is my laptop on my kitchen table, it overlooks trees in the summer, in the winter I see the apartment complex next door. Next to me I have a stack of sticky notes, a stack of books I might be using for research, a printer and two crates full of books. It’s my own little cozy corner of the dining room. No one eats at it though. LOL.
5. What is your perfect “writing space”?
A cottage in Ireland near the ocean. My desk is situated so I can see the ocean out the window. It has a fireplace and the tea kettle is always on. I drink copious amounts of tea when I am writing.
6. If your car horn could play any song, which would it be? Can’t say Dixie.
The theme from Torchwood, the same as my ringtone.
7. What would you name the first permanent settlement on mars?
Too easy, the Martian Colonies.
8. How tall is the perfect sidekick? Please explain why it even matters.
The perfect sidekick is any height as long as they are able to cook, clean, organize my closets/drawers, support me financially, send out queries/submissions for me. Oh, and brush my cats.
9. If you were to mess with the time stream, what would you change? Let’s assume a hundred other people already took care of Hitler so you don’t have to say, “Kill Hitler.”
You can’t mess with the time stream, it’s not allowed. But, if I could I’d make the Druids write down their history because it’s difficult to find anything about them in our time.
10. Let’s say your character has a pet brown bear. What’s the bear’s name?
11. If you had to give an antagonist an annoying trait, what would it be?
12. What kind of car would your ultimate protagonist drive?
Most of my characters don’t drive but if one did they’d probably have a driver and a Rolls Royce or a Bentley.
13. You’ve got a year to travel anywhere. Where?
Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales.
14. You just bought a boat with your book fortune. What are you going to call it?
I would not buy a boat. I get seasick.
15. What kind of music, if any, gets you typing the fastest?
I like it quiet when I write but my musical tastes vary.
16. What’s the punch line to your favorite joke?
Cat scan. LOL.
17. What lyric do you sing poorly, yet loudly?
Hotel California-The Eagles
18. You find a portal to another world in your sink’s drain. What is this other world called? And what is the best way to clean the portal so it doesn’t smell like old food?
Lemon juice takes away “that smell.” The world would be called Lemonville and all the inhabitants would have lemon yellow skin and smell like lemons. And they’d love to clean. They come out at night to make my kitchen sweet smelling and clean. They’d look like elves but yellow. And tiny. With blue hair. Bright blue hair. And wings. They’d have to have wings, bright, almost transparent wings that are threaded through with silver threads. And they’d be magic. Wait, they sound like faeries. Darn it. Lemon faeries that clean. Nice.
19. Where can people learn more about you, your work or any pets you have?
My website is: http://www.gaelicfairie.webs.com
I am on Twitter as: @kathleea
My Facebook fan page is: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Witch-Hunter/142372955812353
20. What’s next?
I am currently looking for an agent so I have queries “out there.” I am finishing editing a Young Adult zombie book. My faerie novel, LORE OF FEI is coming out in April, 2012 from Muse It Up Publishing. I have the cover design now and am awaiting the galleys. I am working on book 2 in the series. Here’s the cover:
I am teaching a class beginning March 5, 2012 on Novelists at Work for six weeks on how to write a YA novel. Here’s the link to it: http://www.novelistsatwork.com/writing-the-young-adult-novel/
Thanks for the questions!
Kathleen S. Allen