1. So, what’s your book all about?
The King of Spain (http://apostrophebooks.com/kingofspain/) is about friendship and love and hope, and technology and aging, and bears. It’s about everything and nothing.
2. What inspired you to write this tale?
Life I guess, the way things seem to be going, things I worry about. I also wanted to write a story set in the future that was not apocalyptic, where current trends are simply extrapolated, taken to their logical conclusions in some cases. A future of banalities.
3. Do you have a favorite quote about creativity/inspiration etc…? What is it?
‘You’re gonna smell what the Rock is cooking’ Strangely inspirational.
4. What things do you keep in your “writing space”? Do they inspire you? Confound you? Hold wires in place?
My writing space at the moment is also my daughter’s bedroom. So there is a cot, many toys, a mobile with these five hot air balloons on that it is easy to spend hours staring at.
5. What is your perfect “writing space”?
For me time is the issue, not space.
6. If your car horn could play any song, which would it be? Can’t say Dixie.
The Frog Song by Paul McCartney
7. What would you name the first permanent settlement on mars?
8. How tall is the perfect sidekick? Please explain why it even matters.
4 foot 3 inches. Ideal pint resting territory.
9. If you were to mess with the time stream, what would you change? Let’s assume a hundred other people already took care of Hitler so you don’t have to say, “Kill Hitler.”
Tough question. I’d probably try to somehow make sure the moustache was forever deemed acceptable, from a fashion point of view that is.
10. Let’s say your character has a pet brown bear. What’s the bear’s name?
Mike. Actually the main character in The King of Spain is pursued by a small Black Bear – the Bear doesn’t have a name but he is quite an odd fish, with a northern accent and burgundy dungarees.
11. If you had to give an antagonist an annoying trait, what would it be?
Nose picking. Really don’t like nose picking.
12. What kind of car would your ultimate protagonist drive?
Vauxhall Cavalier – never has a more tragicomic vehicle been produced
13. You’ve got a year to travel anywhere. Where?
Brazil. I’m obsessed with Fitzcoraldo. I’d like to try to drag a boat over a mountain.
14. You just bought a boat with your book fortune. What are you going to call it?
15. What kind of music, if any, gets you typing the fastest?
I listen to a lot of ambient mixes on mixcloud.com – they seem to help as they’re quite neutral
16. What’s the punch line to your favorite joke?
Maybe I am?
17. What lyric do you sing poorly, yet loudly?
Somewhere, beyond the sea…..
18. You find a portal to another world in your sink’s drain. What is this other world called? And what is the best way to clean the portal so it doesn’t smell like old food?
This portal could lead to any number of small towns in England. They ALL smell of old food.
19. Where can people learn more about you, your work or any pets you have?
The best way is probably to read the book – you can get it from 130+ retailers through Apostrophe Books: http://apostrophebooks.com/kingofspain/
20. What’s next?
Changing nappies (diapers). Not sleeping. Writing when I can.